If you plant it, it will grow.



I am late in getting my blog up.  I have already started vlogging on YouTube.  I grew up in Indiana and my dad always had a garden.  He had tomatoes, pumpkins, cucumbers and green beans.  I never took an interest.  Now I have moved to Kentucky and started a garden as a method for me to relax.  There is a feeling of satisfaction from working with your hands to plant and care for a garden. 

I work in a hospital as a nurse manager. I finished two years ago with my Masters degree in nursing leadership.  I have been a nurse for 19 years and in healthcare for over 25 years total.  I am not blogging about the healthcare system or politics that are involved.   I have been thinking a lot lately about retiring early and purchasing land of my own. 

I currently rent a house with my husband and two children.  Because we rent, it is not possible for us to dig a garden in the large backyard we have.  Therefore I am growing my garden in planters and buckets.  I started out with pods and seeds growing inside the house.  Once the plants started to sprout, I moved them outside on the deck.  When they outgrew the pods, I transplanted them to small pots.  When they got bigger, I moved them to their final planters.  If you go to my channel, linked below.  You will be able to follow my progress as I go.

I planted cherry tomatoes, green beans, sugar snap peas, red beans, cucumber, zuchinnni, and sweet onions.  In two 5 gallon buckets, I planted carrots.  The carrots have a totally different process than the other vegetables.  I had to sift the soil, carrots need soft ground or else the roots grow funny.  I also had to do 50% sand and 50% soil.  My research also provided me with suggestions to add bone meal and episom salt to the mixture.  What I did was layer as I filled up the buckets.  First I laid soil, then sand, then bone meal and mixed it up.  Then I added epsiom salt and mixed it all together again.  I repeated this sequence until the bucket was full.  In a circle I made holes, about 1/2 inch deep and dropped a carrot seed.  After all the seeds were planted, I then watered the buckets.  Thoroughly watering them.  If you watch the videos, you will see the carrots are doing well.

I am very pleased with how the garden is doing.  I have learned a lot in just these past three months.  I hope you join me on my journey.  I will appreciate any advice as I go or support to keep at it.  Hopefully in the next year or so, will be moving to homesteading.  Please comment, even if just to say hi and follow me on my channel.
This is the Celtic symbol for rebirth and growth.


My channel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I dealt with the Aphids on my cucumber plants

Sense of fulfillment